Self-referential units of motion

Discussion concerning the first major re-evaluation of Dewey B. Larson's Reciprocal System of theory, updated to include counterspace (Etheric spaces), projective geometry, and the non-local aspects of time/space.
Horace

Self-referential units of motion

Post by Horace » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:05 am

In a recent discussion, I was surprised to realize, that some people think, a single unit of motion (UoM) can observe itself and self-determine whether its spatial or temporal aspect is increasing or decreasing, by utilizing only its own reciprocal aspect as a reference - this means: WITHOUT a reference to another unit of motion playing the role of an observer.
An example of this is the notion, that a single isolated out/out UoM can somehow self-determine, that it is different from an in/in UoM.
...or that a single isolated in/out UoM can somehow self-determine, that it is different from an out/in UoM.

I think that such absolute self-referential observations are impossible from within the RST universe on one UoM basis, ...unless one has some kind of external view of this universe (i.e. god's view).
In other words, all observations within the RST universe are relative. This means, that all observations inside the RST universe require at least two units of motion, where one plays the role of the observer and the other one - observee (they can swap these roles, of course).
The corollary of this is that without an observer, the properties of an isolated UoM cannot be determined within the confines of the RST universe. Whatever cannot be determined is INDETERMINATE by definition.

I am seeking arguments against or supporting my conclusions stated above.

P.S.
The UoM's properties, such as spatial/temporal "out" and "in" (or "increasing" and "decreasing" space/time) are mental crutch designators, which arise from using an external view of the RST universe (a.k.a. "god's view"). Such absolute perspective is unattainable for the entities confined to the RST universe.

bperet

Re: Self-referential units of motion

Post by bperet » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:17 am

Observation can only be done in extension space (3D coordinate space), as that is how our physical senses work. This requires a bit more than just an observer and observed location, you also need another location to determine which way is "up" to establish a coordinate system.

A UoM cannot be self-referential; that's a "divide by zero" situation, as a vector requires a length to BE a vector, and if locations are coincident, then all you have is a scalar magnitude, so no direction is possible and without direction, no way to establish a coordinate system for observation.
Every dogma has its day...