Registrations enabled

PLEASE READ THIS FORUM for general information about features of this forum, rules, member options and guidelines.
bperet

Registrations enabled

Post by bperet »

I have updated the CAPTCHA system to reCAPTCHA and enabled registrations. Hopefully, this will stop the spambot registrations and all the junk posts.
Every dogma has its day...
SiteAdmin
Site Admin

Re: Registrations DISABLED

Post by SiteAdmin »

Well, that didn't last long. ReCaptcha v2 has been broken, which was supposed to be "bot proof" as it requires someone move the mouse and check a box on an image. Yet several spammers have made it through in just 1 day, so I've disabled registrations again. I suspect that spammers are now using humans to break captcha systems, as the log shows all the bot registrations were blocked (the ones from invalid IPs).

Not sure what to do now, as you can't block unethical people.
wsitze

Re: Registrations enabled

Post by wsitze »

Why not set up a simple test, as in, "According to RS2 theory, what is the fundamental constituent of the Universe". Answer is Motion. At least they will have read the basics on the forum.
Graybeard
bperet

Post by bperet »

Good idea. I set it up and am giving it a try.
Every dogma has its day...
Djchrismac

Re: Registrations disabled

Post by Djchrismac »

I had to change the registration security question the other day as we were being bombarded by fake spam accounts. After removing all of these it became apparent that they had figured out the answer, hopefully they won't be so quick with the new question which should still be easy for anyone registering.

That's a few days now and no new spam accounts which is a good sign. Unfortunately the spammers are also likely the reason why site traffic was so high recently, it seems to have dropped off a fair bit since.
Djchrismac

Post by Djchrismac »

That's registration for the forum enabled again.