Website upgrade

PLEASE READ THIS FORUM for general information about features of this forum, rules, member options and guidelines.
bperet

Website upgrade

Post by bperet » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:16 pm

I am still working on updates and conversion from the old sites, so I do not have much time to contribute new information. Latest updates:
  • Added "Moved permanently" links to rs2theory site for all forum topics, so search engine links will continue to work and be updated.
  • Updated this theme to be HTML5 compliant and to resize appropriately for smaller devices, such as tablets and smartphones.
  • Fixed a couple of user login bugs.
If you had a username on rs2theory.org, please use the SAME username here (see instructions at: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=363. If you do not and create a new username, you will go into the moderation queue until your posts are validated to be "non-spamming." This will cause delays in others seeing posts, because I have to manually go in and verify the posts.

If you run into any other problems with the forum, please post here. I am starting the work now to convert the articles and information on the main site to reciprocal.systems.
Every dogma has its day...

bperet

Graphics

Post by bperet » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:05 am

Horace, you mentioned that phpBB had problems with sizing inline graphics... they seem to be working fine for me on Firefox. Just wanted to check to see if they are working OK for others.

Horace

Re: Website upgrade

Post by Horace » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:11 am

I haven't seen how the code handles large images yet. Let's see:
Schem.jpg
Schem.jpg (305.26 KiB) Viewed 4869 times

Horace

Post by Horace » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:12 am

It errored out on a 4MB png file but the smaller jpg version seems fine - they must have fixed it.
Now, when will the fix the ambiguous quotation headers in v3.1 ?

SiteAdmin
Site Admin

Post by SiteAdmin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Horace wrote:It errored out on a 4MB png file but the smaller jpg version seems fine - they must have fixed it.
There is a 4MB limit on upload file sizes; you probably just went a bit over it.

SiteAdmin
Site Admin

Languages

Post by SiteAdmin » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:42 pm

I have added support for some different languages: French, Spanish, German and Mandarin Chinese. These can be selected by going into User Control Panel on the Board Preferences tab. Changing your default language will switch all the phpBB messages and menus to the new language to make navigation easier. Posts will remain in their original language (it does not translate).

bperet

New moderator

Post by bperet » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:39 am

Wilbur Sitze (wsitze) is taking on the role of "global moderator" for the site. Any problems with posts, spammers, trolling or the splitting or merging of topic threads, please PM Wilbur.

And many thanks to Wilbur for helping out!

Horace

Post by Horace » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:26 am

Since when did the forum become "fixed width" ?
It is not scaling to the width of my screen and the huge margins look really weird on a 4K display.
screenshot293.jpg
screenshot293.jpg (5.17 KiB) Viewed 4549 times

bperet

Post by bperet » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:34 pm

Horace wrote:Since when did the forum become "fixed width" ?
Since we switched to phpBB3. The old Drupal forum was variable width--the phpBB style will shrink to fit on a phone, but only expand out so far. (I haven't found how it does that yet.) You could always make a smaller window? (I did test the default theme, and it behaves the same way.)

I've been looking into how to handle screens and fonts--those "smartPhones" really made a mess of things... the only data you can get is the number of pixels in the viewport--not something useful, like the actual size of the screen. With the new hires phones, they LOOK like a desktop monitor to the software, but are only a few inches across. The 4k displays are the opposite problem--they look like a movie theater screen. Things like a 12-pixel font look good on a 600px phone, too small on a 1080p desktop and probably microscopic on a 4k monitor. I'm still looking... but no one has yet found a way to handle this with the current CSS systems.

SiteAdmin
Site Admin

Post by SiteAdmin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:19 pm

OK, I tried the "media" screen control so that if the display is equal or larger to a standard 1080P (1920x1280), the text box should fill out 90% of the width. Smaller than that, the behavior will remain as the "shrinkable" fixed width. What that means is that if you have a 1080P monitor and have the forum in a window, it should look like it always does, but if you hit the "full screen" icon, it should expand out with just small margins on the side.

I do have a 1080P monitor and it works for me. Phone and 4k users will have to test to see if this is what you want. (I have no idea if it will mess up any other formatting, as it was hard-coded to a max width of 1152 pixels.)