Physicists just discovered a totally new form of light

Discussion concerning other (non-RS) systems of theory and the insights obtained from them, as applied to the developing RS2 theory.
duane

Post by duane »

http://www.sciencealert.com/physicists- ... m-of-light

Physicists have just discovered a new form of light that doesn't follow our existing rules of angular momentum, and it could shake up our understanding of the electromagnetic radiation and lead to faster, more secure optical communication.

Because of how well-studied and, well, everywhere, light is, you might assume that we've pretty much learnt all there is to know about it. But just last year, researchers identified a fundamental new property of light, and now a team of Irish scientists has shown that light can take on unexpected new forms.

does this confirm that the "existing rules of angular momentum" are wrong?
duane

Miles to the rescue

Post by duane »

Miles gives his view

http://milesmathis.com/half.pdf

Proof From the Mainstream

of my quantum spin equations
bperet

Angular momentum

Post by bperet »

does this confirm that the "existing rules of angular momentum" are wrong?
Not really, just incomplete. Existing rules of angular momentum are based on spinning disk. In the RS, angular momentum is not limited to a single dimension of rotation, because the RS has 3 dimensions of motion.

Even the spin-1/2 versus spin-1 stuff comes from the difference between a planar rotation (1d) and solid rotation (2d). (And by 1d/2d, I'm talking angular velocities, not the projection onto coordinate axes, which add a dimension.)

It is a similar situation here, because the photon can be either a complex birotation, [1 i][1 -i], or a quaternion rotation [1 i j -k].
Every dogma has its day...