Cool vid on Earth's expansion

Discussion of the astronomical and cosmological aspects of a universe of motion.
bperet

Re: Cool vid on Earth's expansion

Post by bperet »

jdalton4 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:55 am Back to physics. There is no question that the moon is 239,000 miles away. Put that one to bed.
I recommend you read Gopi's paper on the recent eclipse... which PROVES that there are major errors in the mathematics used to calculate the distance to the moon and sun.

Question everything.
Every dogma has its day...
jdalton4

Post by jdalton4 »

A calculation involving the moon's orbital radius is taken up by Paul Nahin on pages 87 - 91 of his book, In Praise of Simple Physics. He is professor emeritus of electrical engineering at the University of New Hampshire. Its based on three major assumptions: 1 - the change in the earths spin momentum is equal to the change in the moons orbital momentum, 2 - the earth's spin has been decreasing by .002 seconds per century, (according to fossil evidence), and 3 - the moon's orbital radius has been increasing by 1.5 inches per year.(according to NASA). When you plug in these delta's plus the usual stats for mass and orbital radius, his calculations confirm their accuracy. As he puts it: "we get a recession rate of 1.48 inches per year, a theoretically calculated value, in outstanding agreement with the laser/corner cube experimental measurements."
jdalton4

Post by jdalton4 »

Thank you/. I had never read Gopi's articles. It comes as quite a shock to learn that the inverse square law is being so strongly challenged. Obviously my education in this area is seriously deficient. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.