Quantum Mechanics

Discussion concerning the first major re-evaluation of Dewey B. Larson's Reciprocal System of theory, updated to include counterspace (Etheric spaces), projective geometry, and the non-local aspects of time/space.
Gopi

Quantum Mechanics

Post by Gopi »

While dealing with quantum mechanics,the thought experiments of the variations of the Young's Double Slit experiment are what really makes one think...

1.Lasing action...What is the nature of the temporal connectedness of the photons or electrons?In the case of photons,where usually a laser is used,two photons are released after an activation by a single photon,of the atomic system.The electron beam for these experiments are usually generated in a similar way,by exciting a chemical into releasing the electrons simultaneously while it gets back to its 'ground state'.As the atoms/molecules release the photons from the same energy level,does this mean that each energy level is related to a single unit of time 'inside' the unit space,as we are dealing with the atomic interiors?

2.In the Young's double slit experiment with electron beam,the presence of a detector,which flashes the photons and records their scattering in order to detect the electron,is said to 'collapse' the wave function.Does this mean that the photon just pushes the electrons a bit 'apart' in time,and this results in a complete loss of coherency?

3.As we increase the wavelength of the photon used for measuring the electron's presence,once it becomes greater than the slit width,the interference pattern is supposed to reappear on the screen,EVEN THOUGH the electrons are still being measured by the photons.Any guesses as to what is happening?

Reference:Feynman lectures,vol.3.

Gopi
bperet

Photon Stimulated Emission (LASERs)

Post by bperet »

gopiv wrote:
1.Lasing action...What is the nature of the temporal connectedness of the photons or electrons?
Remember, that in RS2, the electron is a cosmic positron, and part of the photon group (it has the same internal structure).

When studying the photon, I find it helpful not to view the photon as an observer, but "become" the photon, looking out at the Universe. This helps to get over the conceptual barrier that photons aren't actually moving... they are stationary with respect to the natural reference system, and everything else is flying past them.

With this in mind, being "stuck" in one location on the NRS, photons never collide with each other, but are constantly being moved apart, due to the progression of the natural reference system. Picture a piece of graph paper, made of elastic. Make some dots on several of the intersections of the X and Y lines. Now stretch the paper in both dimensions, making it twice its size. All the dots move away from each other.

In lasing action, the photons appear to run parallel to each other, in phase. We also know that Larson's "extension space" is nothing more than a projection of scalar speed--it is not another "kind" of space, it is simply scalar speed with assumptions piled upon it, as a result of our sensory system, that gives the appearance of Euclidean space/time.

The LASER works thru "stimulated emission", which means that when an atom impacts a photon (since the photon isn't moving), an second photon is created at the SAME location in the natural reference system, hence the new photon will be IN PHASE and of the SAME FREQUENCY as the original photon.

Our LASER technology is not sufficient to place ALL the photons at the same location in the natural reference system, but they are reasonably close. I will also note that the photons that ARE at the same location will operate just like those in the EPR experiments, maintaining phase, frequency and polarization, inside the LASER beam.

So why is the laser beam is a BEAM--a straight line, and not rotationally distributed in space? That's fairly obvious--the cluster of photons at the one, absolute location acts like ONE, giant photon. When there is only ONE thing "moving", it can only go in a straight line, unless acted upon by some other force. As an analogy, get some golf balls to represent photons. Use adhesive tape to stick them into one, big ball, Then throw it. It only moves in ONE dimension, a straight line (if you omit the force of gravity). All the golf balls move together, in parallel paths, no matter which way it goes.

When it comes to photons instead of golf balls, you are dealing with a single wavefunction, not multiple ones. Therefore, you get only ONE wave, the laser "beam", not a scattering of waves as you would with photons at multiple locations.

Uncharged electrons and positrons will act the same way as the photons do, since they are also fixed at a single location in the natural reference system, and carried by the progression. Once they become charged, however, they are no longer fixed and will "break apart", each movingn to a new location. And all it takes to do that, in RS2, is for a photon to be "emitted" at that original, absolute location, which the electron will grab as a "charge."
Every dogma has its day...
bperet

Young's Double Slit experiment

Post by bperet »

gopiv wrote:
2.In the Young's double slit experiment with electron beam,the presence of a detector,which flashes the photons and records their scattering in order to detect the electron,is said to 'collapse' the wave function.Does this mean that the photon just pushes the electrons a bit 'apart' in time,and this results in a complete loss of coherency?
The free electrons in the experiment are uncharged, and being carried by the natural reference system, giving them the standard, photon-like wave distribution (since electrons are technically photons).

When a photon from the flash intersects the uncharged electron, it is captured and the electron becomes charged. The charge occupies the remaining free dimensions within the electron, so it is no longer carried by the progression of the natural reference system, and hence moves as a particle, rather than a wave.

Simply put, one observes a "wave" if there are free dimensions within the compound motion, that allow it to be carried in a scalar fashion by the progression of the natural reference system. If there are no free dimensions, then one observes motion as a "particle".

So yes, the capture of a photon by an uncharged electron does indeed "collapse" the "wave function", by providing a displacement in ALL the dimensions of motion.

Summarized:

1) Motion carried by the progression (fixed at location) is viewed as a "wave".

2) Motion moving against the progression (changing location) is viewed as a "particle."
bperet

Re: Quantum Mechanics

Post by bperet »

gopiv wrote:
3. As we increase the wavelength of the photon used for measuring the electron's presence, once it becomes greater than the slit width, the interference pattern is supposed to reappear on the screen, EVEN THOUGH the electrons are still being measured by the photons. Any guesses as to what is happening?
I would really need to see the physical setup, but based on what you have said, the only way for that to happen would be:

1) Electron captures photon, becoming charged and measurable as a particle.

2) Electron passes thru slit; photon doesn't "fit" and separates from electron (probably captured by atoms of slit wall, and randomly re-emitted).

3) With loss of charge, electron reverts to uncharged state and moves as a wave function, creating interference patterns.
Gopi

further thought on the previous post...

Post by Gopi »

Quote:
3.As we increase the wavelength of the photon used for measuring the electron's presence,once it becomes greater than the slit width,the interference pattern is supposed to reappear on the screen,EVEN THOUGH the electrons are still being measured by the photons.Any guesses as to what is happening?
I have recently been looking through the experiment conducted by Afshar,and hence I am questioning whether the whole idea of the above behaviour is actually observed or merely constructed to protect the complementarity principle.It appears possible that the 'thought experiment' is constructed but not verified.I think that the Young's experiment,constructed in this way:

1.Have a source of electron beam[uncharged]

2.Detect the electrons before they enter the slits,such that we have no idea which one they went through.

3.Identify the pattern set up by these 'collapsed' electrons.

If we obtain a particle pattern,with no interference,it shows that the detection had that effect.If we see an interference pattern,something else's up.Legacy physics says we would see an interference pattern,as we do not know which hole it went through,hence we haven't 'localised' it,hence we haven't collapsed it into a particle.I'll bug my profs a bit more on this point.

Another question:

Quote:
When a photon from the flash intersects the uncharged electron, it is captured and the electron becomes charged. The charge occupies the remaining free dimensions within the electron, so it is no longer carried by the progression of the natural reference system, and hence moves as a particle, rather than a wave.
If the photon is captured by the electron,how is the electron detected?

More later...

Gopi
bperet

Re: further thought on the previous post...

Post by bperet »

gopiv wrote:
If the photon is captured by the electron, how is the electron detected?
Remember the photon has TWO rotations, thus 2 dimensions in use. The electron, being a "special case" photon where one rotation is at unit speed, has 1 dimension in use. 2+1 = 3 dimensions in use, and hence the charged electron has observed mass (whereas the uncharged electron is massless). Our technology is set up to detect mass (compound motions in 3 dimensions), so it becomes measureable when charged.
Gopi

YDSE contd...

Post by Gopi »

I guess my question wasn't framed properly...

What I meant to ask was,how is the charged electron detected by the photons,do the photons merely bounce back from the electron as is elaborated in the "Compton scattering"?

Quote:
1.Have a source of electron beam[uncharged]

2.Detect the electrons before they enter the slits,such that we have no idea which one they went through.

3.Identify the pattern set up by these 'collapsed' electrons.
After further pestering of my prof,I found out that there is no change according to them with this apparatus,and we should get an interference pattern as the 'collapsed[charged for us]' electrons merely behave as a new source.Of course,this is in direct disagreement with our predictions.

Quote:
Simply put, one observes a "wave" if there are free dimensions within the compound motion, that allow it to be carried in a scalar fashion by the progression of the natural reference system. If there are no free dimensions, then one observes motion as a "particle".
How then,does a diffraction pattern occur for something as large as the C60 molecule,the fullerene,which doesn't have any free dimensions in its motion as it is a molecule?Refer:http://www.quantum.univie.ac.at/researc ... index.html

Cheers,

Gopi
Phillip

Quantum Mechanics

Post by Phillip »

Quote:

"1.Have a source of electron beam[uncharged] "

Are not electron beams always charged electrons?

Seems like that is the Larson RS prediction.

I sort of understand the RS2 uncharged electron is

a cosmic positron and has a photon like structure.

So maybe the RS2 uncharged electron can be beamed?

How would they be created?
bperet

Re: Quantum Mechanics

Post by bperet »

Phillip wrote:
Quote:

"1.Have a source of electron beam[uncharged] "

Are not electron beams always charged electrons?

Seems like that is the Larson RS prediction.

I sort of understand the RS2 uncharged electron is

a cosmic positron and has a photon like structure.

So maybe the RS2 uncharged electron can be beamed?

How would they be created?
The uncharged electron cannot be "beamed" in a straight line, because it is still locked in an absolute location of the natural reference system, hence it is carried just as a photon is. It CAN be "emitted", that is, coming out of a conductor, simply by overcrowding. In such case, the progression just carries it away from the conductor, as if it were light being emitted by a bulb. Remember that the relation of space (electron) to space (vacuum) does not constitute motion, so you can't "beam" thru it... but you can be "carried" by it. The "charge" on the electron is in the opposite aspect, so a charged electron is actually speed (s/t), which can "beam" thru the vacuum of space due to the temporal displacement of the charge.

Also, the limitation of our measuring devices that can only detect a "particle" when it is 3-dimensional means the uncharged electron is viewed as a wave. I'll write up more on this at a later time, once I finish some research. But I am coming to the conclusion that there is no "wave-particle" duality, at all, and that it is simply an artifact of our perception, and the instruments we use to augment our perception. (It will be a tough concept to explain.)
bperet

Re: YDSE contd...

Post by bperet »

gopiv wrote:
What I meant to ask was,how is the charged electron detected by the photons,do the photons merely bounce back from the electron as is elaborated in the "Compton scattering"?
What speed range of photons are they using, visible/radio or X-ray/hard uV?

As far as I can surmise, the visible/radio photons can only be "reflected" off of temporal displacments, such as atoms. Electrons, being a spatial displacement, would not be able to do that. Though I suppose the photon could be captured and re-emitted, under the right circumstances.

gopiv wrote:
Quote:
How then, does a diffraction pattern occur for something as large as the C60 molecule, the fullerene, which doesn't have any free dimensions in its motion as it is a olecule?Refer: http://www.quantum.univie.ac.at/researc ... index.html
There are SO many variables in that experiment that could contribute to such an effect, it probably isn't worth the effort to analyze them. They have mixed isotopes, high ionization levels, thermal effects... dozens, if not hundreds, of variables. But if you look closely at the graphs, there actually isn't any difference between "with" and "without" the diffraction grating, except that "with" has 50 TIMES as much data on the plot, giving a better picture. I really don't see where this experiment proves anything, except for the standard distribution of atoms interfering with themselves in a beam.