Future of RS/RS2 research

PLEASE READ THIS FORUM for general information about features of this forum, rules, member options and guidelines.
ad

Re: Future of RS/RS2 research

Post by ad »

On another note, I am very confused by the Daniel thing. I apparently wasn't paying close enough attention because I really thought he was a different person. Can someone tell me why he created Daniel? Was he just a scfi persona for Bruce? Because many people have been led to believe he was a real person that worked in a secret project. If this was just fiction I would like to know why this wasn't made explicit.

Bruce was a life-long fantasist. Good natured and would never harm anyone. But he inhabitied a make-believe world of his own creation, populated by characters and themes borrowed from science-fiction.
MWells

Post by MWells »

ad wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:02 pm
On another note, I am very confused by the Daniel thing. I apparently wasn't paying close enough attention because I really thought he was a different person. Can someone tell me why he created Daniel? Was he just a scfi persona for Bruce? Because many people have been led to believe he was a real person that worked in a secret project. If this was just fiction I would like to know why this wasn't made explicit.

Bruce was a life-long fantasist. Good natured and would never harm anyone. But he inhabitied a make-believe world of his own creation, populated by characters and themes borrowed from science-fiction.
Sorry to hear of Bruce's passing. ad, you are of course right, and Bruce would have agreed with you. He considered sci-fi to be a device or framework for interpreting the world. I personally think that early on, his natural gifts or abilities necessitated construction of the fantasy protective "barrier". He just kept it up after learning about the power of symbolism and allegory.
wsitze

Post by wsitze »

I’m going to miss Bruce. I’ve learned late of his passing, and that is due to my own health problems, of which I warned him when he asked me to assume admin duties on this website. In the meantime, I’ll do my best to moderate the site.

I ran across Dewey Larson’s first book in the 1960;s, and still can’t wrap my brain around RS the way Bruce did, but my advice to present and future members of the forum is to not stray wildly from Larson’s basic extensions of RS. He managed to derive quiet a number of basic statements of the basic theories of physics. Refine, definitely, but stay on track.
Graybeard