The Cosmic Doctrine

Discussion concerning other (non-RS) systems of theory and the insights obtained from them, as applied to the developing RS2 theory.
bperet

The Cosmic Doctrine

Post by bperet »

Dan sent me a book a while back called "The Cosmic Doctrine" by Dion Fortune, first published in 1949. It has some interesting concepts in it regarding the overall structure of the Universe, that fit, to a degree, with some of the concepts in the Reciprocal System of theory.

Like any of the old theories, it is written in the context of the information known at the time. I think a review of the concepts presented, with what we know today, may yield some interesting conclusions.

Fortune wrote:
The Unmanifest is the only Unity. Manifestation begins when duality occurs. The prime duality is "Space" and "Movement".

The first manifestation was a current in space.
I have long argued that in the RS, "unit motion" of 1/1 cannot exist, because in Unity, there is no dichotomy (no aspects of space nor time). So I am in agreement here.

When reading the text, her use of the term "space" is not as one of the aspects of motion, but is a reference to the Unmanifest Unity, which Larson would call the "progression of the natural reference system," at unit speed. Therefore, a "current in space" would be some displacement from that Unity.

Fortune wrote:
These two factors are present in all motion, but the desire for movement, being the stronger, overcomes the desire for inertia, and the desire for intertia continues as a check upon the movement. Therefore the movement is pulled upon slightly. That is why there is no such thing as a straight line in the Cosmos. All movement therefore has a slight curve in its projection, therefore it returns to the spot whense it started, and forms a spinning ring.
Sounds a little crazy at first, but actually makes a lot of sense. Motion, in the context in which she uses it, is in the low-speed (1-x) range, and thus is a displacement in time, perhaps a speed of 1/2. If one has read any of the RS astronomical papers on the precession of the perhihelion of Mercury, then you will be familiar with the effects that motion in coordinate time has upon space... simply put, it "torques" it.

Though I have never considered the idea before, she may be exactly right -- any temporal displacement will, because of its movement in coordinate time, "loop" what appears to be linear space into a giant circle -- polar space. This prime movement is referred to as the "Ring-Cosmos".

Fortune wrote:
The spinning in one plane continues until the stresses which it generates evoke a new movement, and a second current in space is set up at right angles to the first, and the same process is repeated. These spinning planes of force may be conceived of as resembling the Rings of Saturn.

We have now two spinning planes which, at two points cut each other, and it is worthy of note that the second plane forms outside the first and is therefore larger in diameter.

...you may call it the Ring-Chaos the prime evil.
In order to balance the inward, temporal motion of 1/2, a motion of 2/1 must therefore exist. I believe this is what she is describing, for 2/1 * 1/2 = 1, and net Unity is maintained. In terms of the RS, what she is describing is simply two motions:

1) Ring-Cosmos, outward motion in time (good).

2) Ring-Chaos, outward motion in space (evil).

In Larson's terms:

1) Ring-Cosmos, the Material sector.

2) Ring-Chaos, the Cosmic sector.

And what happens when good and evil meet? Outward motion in time is equivalent to inward motion in space; outward motion in space is equivalent to inward motion in time. The net result is NO motion, relative to "space", unit speed. She derives this as the "Ring-Pass-Not", a spherical boundary that occurs "between" these two rings, that becomes an impenetrable boundary, separating the outside "chaos" from the inside "order."

What we have here with the Ring-Pass-Not is simple: the original "Unit Speed Boundary" separating the Material and Cosmic sectors; a giant "bubble" in the "solid" background of unit motion (interestingly enough referred to as "chaos"). There is an interesting similarity to Fortune's descriptions and the Blavatsky's "bubbles in koilon", where "koilon" is Fortunes' "space" and Larson's "progression of the natural reference system."

The Ring-Cosmos is basically motion in time, moving everything towards the center of this unit-speed, Ring-Pass-Not "bubble". Ring-Chaos does the opposite, moving everything towards its periphery. Thus, Fortune has correctly identified the two basic motions students of the RS are familiar with.

I have more comparisons and conclusions from this material, but it does require some familiarity with her work to understand. Of particular interest are the "tides" of inward and outward motion, where one has priority over the other. Some interesting stuff there. Let me know if I should continue discussing this. Thanks.
Every dogma has its day...
Alluvion

The Cosmic Doctrine

Post by Alluvion »

i'd like to know more about what you are finding out about tides and currents in continua from this point of view.

-a
MikeWirth

from "Contact" movie

Post by MikeWirth »

Before seeing the movie "Contact" I read about this ring system model and noticed its very close resemblance to the "worm hole generator" or teleporting machine that was used in the movie.

The combinations of [internal and external?] motions of the rings look interesting and lead one to speculate and ask if it has this potential of allowing for this kind of inter-dimensional interaction. Just as an exercise to see what properties may emerge would be interesting.

Maybe some way to make a program simulation?

It probably has no relevance but just wanted to throw it out there.
bperet

Re: from "Contact" movie

Post by bperet »

MikeWirth wrote:
Before seeing the movie "Contact" I read about this ring system model and noticed its very close resemblance to the "worm hole generator" or teleporting machine that was used in the movie.
I thought exactly the same thing when reading the book--Fortune describes the same, triple-ring system as the "Machine" in Contact. Don't know if it coincidence, or the author just knew about Fortune's doctrine.

MikeWirth wrote:
The combinations of [internal and external?] motions of the rings look interesting and lead one to speculate and ask if it has this potential of allowing for this kind of inter-dimensional interaction. Just as an exercise to see what properties may emerge would be interesting.

Maybe some way to make a program simulation?
There is something that "rings true" about the design, even though Fortune, herself, says it is nothing more than a metaphor; that there aren't really any giant rings, and it is just a device to try to explain the effect and interactions of what she was taught. Even Larson recognized the need for "something to rotate", and hence his "rotational base", even though a true theory of motion would not require anyTHING to rotate--rotation would be just as natural a consequence as vibration.

What I find particularly interesting is that the temporal displacement (Ring-Cosmos) forms a polar, geometric region. When Ring-Chaos interacts, it creates Ring-No-Pass -- the unit speed boundary that is the "container" for all forms of motion, simple and aggregate, in the Reciprocal System.

What the RS does not address, however, is Fortune's concept of "tides". According to her information, the Ring-Cosmos and Ring-Chaos, due to their precessional motion, create a bias within the structures that form inside the Ring-No-Pass. In other words, within the unit boundary, sometimes the outward, precessional motion is stronger, and sometimes the inward motion is stronger, and they cycle as ocean tides do. This, of course, has an interesting effect on structure, since it adds a "clock" temporal component to things like atomic motion and life units. It has been long observed in Nature that some things simply work better at certain times, like planting, harvesting, and I believe even photons are affected (some of the results of the Michaelson-Morley experiments showed tidal-related speed changes).

A computer simulation is a good idea, if we could figure out how to model "geometry-free" in a synthetic, scalar system. Any ideas on how to set it up?
Every dogma has its day...